If you've kept up with me the past year, this year I've experienced a lot of loss and hardships, well, since 2019 actually, that year sucked too. I'm only recently getting a break. But, I will say the good things that happened this year, in order. That's why it's been hard for me to write a Year In Review thing, I almost didn't, because of the insane amount of bad things that happened.
I wasn't really planning on it, but then I thought, a lot of MAJOR things have happened to really turn my life around too. So, it's kinda weird to say this year has been both one of the worst years of my life, and one of my best, turning my life around. Weird.
2020 In Review (minus the 85% of it being bad things that happened to me this year)
- Escaped Florida from my abusive situation with roommates thanks to everyone at Newgrounds, made it back home safely (though "home" isn't a place I want to stay given this state has a plethora of problems, its a big joke really)
- Got to be a host on The Newgrounds Podcast for a while, that was neat hanging with the guys and interviewing awesome people. Now I'm back (not as a host), just occasionally submitting them comedy skits.
- Finally went to therapy, I regret not going sooner. It helped me a lot, and inspired me to approach my life differently, and the way I make music. This was a major help for Cursed Server, my side project.
- Got offered a show on Canadian radio that's still running (but it's re-runs, I recently sent in the last broadcast) to feature NG musicians on my show, and occasional advice and interviews. So I got to be on the radio.
- Finally finished my former side project, Piercing Lazer's last album I worked on for years (The Other Side Chronicles).
- My side project originally titled "Freeki", became "Cursed Server", and I finally released the debut EP record, which I made just for myself, just for fun, it was therapy for me. But, it's surprisingly one of the most well-recieved albums of mine from my fans and Newgrounds alike, which I wasn't expecting, but makes me happy.
- Got a PS4 earlier this year, sometimes I play on that.
- Got a cat who I rescued from a shelter that I named Jinsei (Jin for short), and I absolutely love him. He's been very loving especially more lately, we've been growing close.
- Got a new car, abeit because I wrecked my very nice Nissan Altima....:L but, I like my new Honda Civic (well it's used but 2013, new to me, whatever lol).
- Started the process of getting together with my new band A Silent Voice, got all the crew now. We'll start writing in 2021, I mean I've been writing a lot of lyrics to vent out, some instrumentals in progress, but I want to work with everyone and hear what they write too, cause we're a team.
- FINALLY started work on the Newgrounds: Zero Hour game again, and I currently have a programmer, and 9 artists (not including the artists who provided artwork in the original version, so technically we have more than that because we have artwork preserved).
- Oh yeah, wrote skits and did voice work for The Newgrounds Voice Actor Collab 2020 with VoicesByCorey who lead the project, and I love the stuff we worked on. We're currently doing a couple of those for 2021. I'm excited. Also got more voice roles this year for stuff in general.
- Got a new job at McDonald's, and my bosses are actually nice and I'm enjoying it, they're understanding and not bullies lol.
- Got a second paid job a few or so days ago, hoping I'm the guy this guy chooses for making the soundtrack for this game that is a reboot of a well-known old Newgrounds game series, hoping it all works out and that I can eventually announce it if all works out.
- Been working on Off the Wall Season 2/Reboot which is a talk show format for youtube, but NG gets the audio versions with music. Though I'm 2 episodes backlogged, I'm struggling to decide if I still want to do the show, what it would be, because I think there's too much in it as it stands. I'm not sure, I'm fiddling with ideas, asking people for ideas.
- As you can see, I do way too much, so I'm wanting to cut things down or out, mostly probably focusing on music including my second job, and make more time for friends and gaming with friends.
- I also got into Once Upon a Time and I'm way too hooked on that show now.
- SpazkidIn3D followed me on YouTube LOL I mean that's cool c'mon! I sometimes wonder how many well-known creatives follow me silently.
- I recently hit the milestone of 2,500 followers on NG, which is something I've been wanting for years, so thank you for that. I've been escalating followers quickly, and I'm not sure how or why, but thank you haha I'm already almost at 2,600! Wowzers.
- Oh yeah, this year is historic because I changed my artist name from RealFaction to JohnnyGuy on here, dropping a longtime name of 14 years, half my life I stuck with RF. Therapy inspired that change, too.
- My music is gonna be in this other game that's gonna be on steam in the soon future, too early to talk about just yet though.
I think I covered all the good things? So, granted a lot of bad things happened this year, a lot of good has happened too, major milestones. All my life I mostly wanted financial stability, to sleep better, to be less anxious and sad, and I"ve been taking steps I used to be scared to take in fear of losing myself, my sanity, but I'm finally doing what I want/need to help myself and my life. So, I'm proud of myself.
Next goal: Meet the love of my life, who would first become a good friend of mine. And I really hope I meet them on Newgrounds LOL I mean I love this place and the community, c'mon, you guys are family. I love y'all. Anyway, Happy New Year, and expect more Cursed Server music in February, a Sixx A.M. cover song very soon, Off the Wall Season Finale soon-ish maybe, and Off the Wall Season 2 in a couple of weeks. Oh, and some comedy skits soon before that with Jack Serious.